After two months of reviewing one of the best in project management software options, I can attest there’s no scarcity of options able to reworking course of and group management.
From builders to restaurant managers and division heads to startup founders, PM software gives a universe of groups and industries a central platform to plan, collaborate, and execute duties.
Top project management software
Launched in 2005, Smartsheet’s project and work management platform is without doubt one of the most secure bets within the PM software market. From onboarding to utilizing the platform, I used to be impressed by the interface’s user-friendliness and the options’ extensibility. Smartsheet gives an improve from conventional tools by including accessible UX, wanted integrations, strong configurability, and no-code capabilities to a spreadsheet interface.
Smartsheet pricing is among the many highest available in the market, and there is no such thing as a limitless free plan. Still, I imagine the platform’s advantages greater than justify consideration for small groups as much as enterprise organizations.
Features of Smartsheet
- Create, import, and handle project information in a central cloud-based platform.
- Visualize project information via Grid, Gantt, card, and calendar views.
- Flexible choices for setting and adjusting project area information.
- WorkApps, the platform’s no-code instrument for constructing internet and cellular apps.
- Activity log for monitoring change management with filters to determine actions.
Pros of Smartsheet
- Friendly person interface for transferring from legacy spreadsheet tools.
- Extensive documentation and entry to onboarding help.
- Pre-built project and automation templates to get to work quick.
Cons of Smartsheet
- Several tools are add-ons requiring a further buy.
- Security options restricted to the Enterprise subscription.
- Premium help solely obtainable for increased tier plans.
SEE: Smartsheet: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
The quickest mover within the project management software area is ClickUp. Only 5 years after its founding, the San Diego-based startup has grown into one of many prime PM resolution suppliers. ClickUp far exceeded my expectations with a stack of project views and tools to allow productiveness and collaboration for all kinds of useful groups.
Add in that ClickUp gives a handful of reasonably priced subscriptions for various group sizes, and it’s tough to not take into account the market’s budding PM software.
Features of ClickUp
- Visualize project information via List, Board, Gantt, Calendar, Workload, and Map views.
- Create and modify duties or bulk edit duties from an inventory of potential operations.
- Manage granular configurations of platform options and safety.
- Track and visualize project information via the Dashboards view.
- Import information from monday, Asana, Trello, Jira, Wrike, Basecamp, and Todoist.
Pros & cons of ClickUp
- Widest and most reasonably priced vary of plans to fulfill different-sized group wants.
- Robust configurability for customizing and managing platform workflows.
- Access to over 1,000 integrations for builders, enterprise suites, storage, and extra.
- Slight variance between imported file and platform outcomes.
- Some platform actions are much less intuitive and require extra troubleshooting.
- Occasional lagging between transferring pages and lingering platform notices.
SEE: ClickUp: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
As the identify implies, Teamwork is project management software that permits group and workload management. The Ireland-based platform gives an identical vary to different prime PM options however excels in time monitoring, budgeting and stakeholder management. Whether it’s personnel or a third-party contractor, Teamwork is match for optimizing the globally distributed workflows of tomorrow.
While a number of actions throughout my expertise with Teamwork didn’t appear as intuitive as different platforms, the platform and its potential to arrange group tasks are spectacular.
Features of Teamwork
- Visualize project information via Gantt, Kanban, calendar, and desk views.
- Build and generate stories of project information to share through CSV, Excel, or PDF.
- Create project templates, dashboards, dangers, and project degree tags for re-use.
- Integrations with Zapier, Google Drive, Box, Slack, Microsoft, HubSpot, and extra.
- Built-in Teamwork apps for collaborative areas, IT assist desks, CRM, and internet chats.
Pros & cons of Teamwork
- Strongest time monitoring and workload management capabilities of the merchandise I reviewed.
- Deep vary of options emulating one of the best within the PM software market.
- Free 30-day trial, an infinite free plan, and reasonably priced annual subscriptions.
- Basic agile help and burndown stories are solely obtainable with increased plans.
- Configure notification settings or prepare for a full inbox.
- Modifications typically took a number of seconds to load.
SEE: Teamwork: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
The latest subsidiary of Citrix, Wrike was already one of many largest names in project management software even earlier than its backing by the cloud computing big. With the capability to handle complete project portfolios, Wrike’s function set consists of customized request kinds, threat predictions, invoicing software, and enterprise-grade safety. I discovered the platform extremely highly effective, with clear use instances for small companies, enterprise organizations, and numerous group capabilities.
Upon first look, the person interface is busy, and Wrike’s studying curve is probably going the steepest within the PM software area. That mentioned, few distributors supply the identical extent of enterprise capabilities.
Features of Wrike
- Visualize project information via desk, checklist, board, Gantt, timelog, and analytics views.
- Add and edit activity length, approvals, time entries, subtasks, information, and dependencies.
- Project templates for Agile, artistic, IT operations, and PM workplace groups.
- Customer-managed encryption keys and exterior encryption key storage through AWS.
- Access to over 400 app integrations and two-way sync with virtually 30 different apps.
Pros & cons of Wrike
- Plans for groups managing advanced workloads, advertising, and skilled providers.
- Extensive interoperability and workflow capabilities with enterprise crucial purposes.
- Enterprise-ready with premium safety and information privateness controls.
- More costly than most PM options.
- Steep studying curve for maximizing extent of platform options.
- Several tools are solely obtainable as an add-on function or the next subscription.
SEE: Wrike assessment: What are the highest options and price? (TechRepublic)
The monday.com Work OS is a good project management model with a versatile platform for groups of all flavors. While initially intimidating, the monday.com interface is filled with options and gives intensive configuration management capabilities. While different options lean into a number of views of project information, monday.com provides customers essentially the most flexibility in including and configuring useful visualizations.
Though I bumped into hiccups utilizing monday.com, the PM software excels in configurability, giving groups the anticipated management to optimize workflows.
Features of monday.com
- Visualize project information via a number of desk, Kanban, and dashboard views.
- Personalize colourful interfaces that deliver project information to life.
- Customize and share surveys for information assortment through the WorkForms instrument.
- Access integrations for builders, advertising, CRM, and project management.
- Pre-built automations and an extended checklist of choices for creating automation guidelines.
Pros & cons of monday.com
- Clean person interface not slowed down by the platform’s intensive options.
- Robust configurability for setting the workspace and tools to group specs.
- Designed for a large number of use instances throughout industries and capabilities.
- An evident studying curve for brand spanking new customers and implementing superior options.
- Import engine failed to drag most present information into the platform.
- Manually inputting information to reconcile import was the most important ache level.
SEE: monday.com Work OS: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
One of the most well-liked PM software options, Asana is the work management platform began by former Facebook builders in 2008. The Silicon Valley-based firm has grown dramatically in that point, and the platform’s extensibility affirms why so many companies select it. From viewing group member workloads to including strategic targets and setting person safety insurance policies, I imagine Asana has one thing for each group.
Though some actions have been much less intuitive, Asana made up for them with the documentation and sources to information platform tasks effectively.
Features of Asana
- Visualize project information via checklist, board, timeline, calendar, and workload views.
- Manage and create project information with customized fields, guidelines, and kinds.
- Enable the built-in time monitoring instrument to visualise time spent on duties.
- Import information from Airtable, Google Sheets, monday, Trello, Smartsheet, or Wrike.
- Access to integrations for communications, information, finance, IT, reporting, gross sales, and safety.
Pros & cons of Asana
- Robust function set that competes with one of the best within the PM software area.
- Friendly person interface and versatile controls for various tools.
- Extensive import choices, together with a number of prime PM platforms.
- At instances, the interface is much less intuitive than competing PM platforms.
- Steep studying curve for deploying some options and superior tools.
- Occasional error messages and lagging when transferring between platform pages.
SEE: Asana: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
A decade after its founding, Airtable has raised over $1.4 billion to develop a PM software resolution. After utilizing it myself, I can attest it’s been cash well-spent. Behind its pleasant interface, Airtable is a strong platform providing groups granular management over extensions, scripts, and workflows to optimize course of management.
While the most recent platform instrument, the Interface Designer, struggled to take care of a server connection throughout use, I used to be impressed by my expertise with Airtable.
Features of Airtable
- Visualize project information via grid, Kanban, gallery, Gantt, and calendar views.
- Build an inner or exterior app with the Interface Designer.
- Integrate, sync, and consolidate information from Google, Salesforce and Jira to Airtable.
- Deploy pre-built and customized automations with granular management over rule scripting.
- Access to 40 Airtable-developed extensions, 20 scripts, and 150 open supply apps.
Pros & cons of Airtable
- Most correct and seamless import course of amongst PM tools examined.
- Clean and intuitive person interface for exploring and using the platform.
- Capabilities for small groups as much as enterprise organizations.
- Limited extensions for most of the subscription plans.
- Occasional lagging when transferring between data-involved views.
- Fewer enterprise integrations than different prime PM tools.
SEE: Airtable: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
Under the Zoho portfolio of options, Zoho Projects gives groups a stack of options for monitoring duties, points, time, and sources to maximise collaboration and productiveness. Users can visualize and alter project information via views like a standard spreadsheet, easy checklist, Kanban board, or Gantt chart in actual time or automate mapped workflows with the Blueprints instrument.
Zoho Projects gives numerous performance, contemplating it’s essentially the most reasonably priced PM software. However, it additionally lacks a number of the configurability and superior options included within the prime tier of platforms.
Features of Zoho Projects
- Visualize project information via Classic (spreadsheet), Plain (List), and Kanban views.
- Create project baselines to check anticipated vs. actual progress on duties.
- Time monitoring of duties to tell workload and useful resource management.
- Integrations with crucial apps for Google, Microsoft, code repositories, and extra.
- Access to Zoho Apps like Mail, Docs, CRM, Desk, Analytics, and Forms.
Pros & cons of Zoho Projects
- Least costly subscription plans among the many prime PM platforms.
- Robust function set contemplating its affordability.
- Familiar interface and bundling worth for present Zoho clients.
- Lagging when transferring between totally different platform pages.
- Limited choices for viewing project information relative to rivals.
- Some platform actions like creating a number of subtasks aren’t intuitive.
SEE: Zoho Projects: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
Likely the least acquainted decide, Zenhub’s native integration with GitHub provides the project management software resolution a definite benefit. Project managers unfamiliar with GitHub have a mighty studying curve, however developer groups will love the benefit of managing and visualizing information via a well-recognized interface.
Zenhub dietary supplements the world’s main repository with tools like planning poker, a dash generator, workflow automation, and reporting to benefit from GitHub project management.
Features of Zenhub
- Visualize project information via Boards, Roadmaps, and Reports views.
- Create and modify group targets by grouping points into epics.
- Import public and personal GitHub repositories right into a single project platform.
- Automate frequent workflows and the creation of latest sprints from backlog points.
- Analyze project information with burndown, velocity, and launch stories.
Pros & cons of Zenhub
- Ideal for groups accustomed to and working with GitHub repositories.
- One of essentially the most reasonably priced prime PM options.
- Clean person interface with seamless integration to the GitHub platform.
- Less supreme for non-software growth groups and project managers.
- Learning curve adjusting to platform terminology relative to GitHub language.
- Limited to groups using GitHub as a repository management software.
SEE: Zenhub: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
Jira Work Management
Atlassian’s portfolio of collaboration, code management, and safety options is led by its flagship project monitoring software, Jira. In response to a rising variety of general-use project management options, Jira Work Management—an extension of Jira Software, which is designed for use by developer groups—gives an identical mixture of project information views, reporting, and configuration capabilities.
Jira Work Management is right for organizations already utilizing Jira Software or groups counting on integrations like personal repository host BitBucket. Otherwise, its basic PM use performance is beneath par relative to the broader PM market.
Features of Jira
- Visualize project information via checklist, board, timeline, and calendar views.
- Import present work to create project points and gather information via kinds.
- A Summary web page embedded with KPIs for progress, priorities, and workloads.
- Full integration with Jira Software and different Atlassian tools.
- Start from 20 pre-built templates for finance, advertising, HR, and authorized groups.
Pros & cons of Jira
- More than 500 integrations and 3000 extensions for workflow apps.
- Bundle with Atlassian’s portfolio of tools like BitBucket, Crucible, and Trello.
- Built-in time monitoring tools for monitoring effort in opposition to duties.
- Higher studying curve for non-software growth groups.
- Not as intuitive as different prime PM tools.
- Still a growing utility relative to Jira Software’s accolades.
SEE: Jira: Project management software assessment (TechRepublic)
- Adobe Workfront
What is project management software?
Project management software is the on-premises or cloud-based resolution developed to allow the planning and execution of project duties for numerous groups and capabilities.
Most PM options at the moment can be found via a cloud-based platform for groups to create and modify tasks, duties, and workflows via collaborative areas and views. Project managers are most hands-on in configuring the software to set group use pointers, combine crucial purposes, and optimize the project management life cycle.
Project management software options
While numerous project management platforms supply a variety of potential productiveness, collaboration, and course of enchancment alternatives—there’s a normal set of options that threads the market collectively.
Project information views and visualizations
Tenured professionals in all probability know their method round a spreadsheet, however the PM market exhibits how far collaboration and project visualization software has are available virtually 4 a long time.
Teams can collaborate with their project view of selection from a number of totally different views. The most typical project views provided embody:
- Table or grid or spreadsheet separated by columns and row area values.
- List often exhibits the first column and its area values.
- Kanban board divided by lanes representing a situation and playing cards for area values.
- Gantt chart or timeline exhibiting dependent duties and the timeline obtainable for every.
- Calendar with a regular calendar reflecting project information.
- Dashboards break down project information with configurable widgets.
- Workloads exhibiting group member duties in opposition to a timescale.
Web-based spreadsheets like Google Sheets and Excel through Microsoft 365 stay widespread options and the first predecessor utility to adopting PM software. As a end result, most PM options supply an identical place to begin (e.g., desk view) to ship a clear onboarding expertise. From there, Kanban-style boards are the second hottest view with roots in Agile software growth, adopted by time-based views like Gantt charts and calendars.
Dashboards are one other normal view, giving customers a pre-built or configurable area to visualise project metrics. Not all dashboards are created equally, so word these providing essentially the most flexibility with constructing widgets reflecting group KPIs.
Data manipulation and workflow automation
The distinctive tools provided by PM platforms are these able to reworking project information into real-time visibility and actionable insights. While this varies between options, the above views can filter information by platform or area worth situation. Widgets for monitoring project information are one other crucial ingredient to plan and act on insights.
Automation can also be a regular instrument throughout PM options, providing some extent of pre-built automation guidelines and the choice to construct your personal. Pre-built automations are so simple as sending a notification to Slack when a activity’s standing adjustments; in the meantime, most supply an inventory of potential set off and response actions to ease workflows and scale back handbook efforts.
Reporting and evaluation
While complete firms can undertake project management software, its typical deployment is inside a choose division or group. In both case, reporting and metric visibility for inner personnel and exterior stakeholders is usually crucial.
Every PM platform gives some option to export or share project information, however these strategies differ. The traditional choice is exporting a set of knowledge or metrics as a .CSV or .PDF doc. Another widespread selection for PM options, like within the case of Airtable, is designing a shareable webspace able to modification or view-only. Stakeholders can get a fast, in-platform view of wanted information.
Considerations for PM software
Use instances and viewers
Most project management software options communicate to a broad viewers of potential use instances. Across industries and departments, the use instances talked about most for PM tools embody:
- Agile, Scrum, and different software growth methodologies
- Campaign and consumer management
- Content creation and digital asset management
- Event planning and management
- Issue, request, ticket, and bug monitoring
- Lead monitoring and gross sales pipeline
- Onboarding and offboarding personnel
- Product management and options backlog
- Resource, time, and workload allocation
As with the 2 software growth PM picks, the vary of integrations provided by prime project management platforms is a vital differentiating issue. Teams throughout the globe more and more depend on a stack of purposes to conduct on a regular basis work. Considering PM software is supposed to allow productiveness in groups present workflows, the shortage of a crucial integration is a dealbreaker.
Customer help and service
Finally, groups counting on PM software for crucial enterprise operations additionally want to make sure the extent of technical help meets expectations. Teams are sure to come across surprising outages, roadblocks, and platform points, making common availability by telephone or internet chat important to enterprise continuity.
What makes one of the best PM software?
When requested to assessment the highest PM tools, my view from a look advised me the market was generic, with minute variations between some platforms. While commonalities exist, like visualization tools or workflow automation pipelines, there is sufficient to differentiate the market.
The finest PM platforms stand out with the intuitiveness of their UX, superior options, and integrations crucial to group processes. Like most software decisions, it’s straightforward to enroll, and all featured options supply a free trial and not using a bank card to keep away from pointless bills. Teams should in the end ask how the platform will change legacy tools like Excel spreadsheets, enhance project management, and lastly if the fee and utilization will justify these advantages.